Birthdays are the best time to celebrate...especially when the celebration involves cake...and a healthy, sugar free, wheat free cake at that!
Last week was one of our very dear friend's birthdays. Our good friend Michael Eisen, the founder of The Youth Wellness Network, asked if we could make a healthy cake for his birthday. We excitedly said yes, and began one of our great kitchen experiments! Here it is for you everyone to enjoy:
Chocolate Banana Dream Cake
*This makes 2 layers for the cake. If you want to have 3 layers, double the recipe.
1 cup spelt flour 3/4 cup cacao powder 3/4 cup maple syrup 1/2 cup ghee or coconut oil, melted 1/2 cup almond or rice milk 2 eggs 1 tsp baking powder ½ tsp baking soda ⅛ tsp sea salt 2 bananas 3/4 cup walnuts + 2 Tbsp maple syrup
1 can coconut milk 1 cup dates 1/4 cup water 5 tsp arrowroot powder 1 Tbsp water 1 cup coconut oil 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Blend dates and water in the food processor until creamy.
- In a small saucepan heat coconut milk and creamy dates.
- Mix together the arrowroot powder and water until thickened.
- Mix the arrowroot into the coconut milk/dates, whisking the liquid. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coconut oil and cocoa powder.
- Allow the mixture to cool in the refrigerator for 2 hours, until the icing solidifies.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix together the dry ingredients. Mix together the wet ingredients, making sure to beat the eggs to be fluffy.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Oil 2 springform cake pans. Fill each pan with half of the batter.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cakes are cooking, spread the walnuts out on a pan with 2 Tbsp of maple syrup. Roast for 5-7 minutes. Mash the bananas until creamy, set aside.
- Allow the cakes to cool for at least 30 minutes. Removed from the springform pans.
Layering the Cake Directions
- Place one of the cakes on a large plate.
- Spread a layer of the mashed bananas over the cake. Spread a layer of the icing over the banana cream. Sprinkle a layer of walnuts over the icing.
- Carefully place the second cake layer on top. Spread a layer of mashed bananas over the cake. Spread a layer of icing over the banana cream. Sprinkle a layer of walnuts over the icing.