Almond flour is rich in protein and more importantly it is gluten free. Regardless if you are celiac or not, it's beneficial for most of us to go on a low-gluten or gluten-free diet and almond flour is the perfect way to still eat delicious desserts! Gluten can be extremely hard on the digestive tract.
It creates inflammation in your gut, flattening out our 'villi'. Picture little fingers on the lining of your digestive tract - these are villi and they are responsible for increasing the surface area of the gut and our nutrient absorption. So, if our villi our damaged, then we won't properly absorb nutrients, which can lead to malabsorption and vitamin and mineral deficiencies!
Ok - now onto the fun dessert!
First we gather our ingredients! 1 1/4 cup almond flour a pinch of sea salt 1/4 tsp baking soda 1 egg 2 Tbsp honey 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted 1/2 cup fresh cherries, chopped 1/2 70% + chocolate bar, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Mix the wet into the dry and add in the cherries and chocolate
- Form into bite size balls and put them down on an baking sheet and flatten them with your hand
- Bake in the oven for 7 minutes
- Once you remove them from the oven, let them cool for 10-15 minutes so they harden and don't crumble