Missed the Teleseminar?
Last night was our free teleseminar, streaming live talk about 5 Foods You Need to Combat Cancer. In case you missed the talk (or just wanted to have some more information to see post-talk) we have decided to write up a summary of everything we discussed, for your reading pleasure. Please share this information with anyone who you know it could potentially help, inspire or support.
There is a lot of information below. If you are looking for personal support on your own cancer healing journey, we offer private nutritional consulting (internationally) as well as cooking services that provide you with the healing food you need (in Toronto).
Why Food and Cancer Healing?
We believe that what you eat is one of the most important things you can do to maintain health, prevent disease, and heal illnesses. Food is our medicine, and when it comes to cancer we have been becoming more involved with supporting people through their healing process. Having personally lost people to cancer and the fact that everyone we know knows someone who has been touched by cancer (whether losing a family member, friend, or dealing with cancer themselves)...this is clearly an issue that we NEED to DEAL with NOW.
*Important Note- We support people going through any type of cancer treatment. We don’t advocate for any particular treatment plan, because we know that every person is different and requires their own plan for healing. The great thing about food is that it can safely be used to support someone when they are going through a variety of cancer treatments.
If you have any questions, please consult your doctor or oncologist before making changes in your diet. We are not medical experts or oncologists, and our recommendations are to be taken as advice (not as treatment alternatives).
The top 5 Foods You Need When You Find Out You Have Cancer
1. Cruciferous Vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, brussels sprouts, cabbage)
indole-3-carbinol- This is a naturally occurring compound that can combat breast cancer (and other estrogen sensitive cancers) by converting a cancer-promoting estrogen into a less dangerous form. This helps prevent the conversion of compromised cells into cancerous cells in estrogen-sensitive tissues Fiber in these vegetable helps to detox it and excess estrogen out of the body.
sulforaphane- This chemical compound, occurring naturally in plants, induces the production of certain enzymes that inactivate free radicals and carcinogens. The enzymes have been shown to inhibit the growth of tumors in laboratory animals. especially high is Broccoli sprouts, believed to aid in preventing some types of cancer, like colon and rectal cancer.
limonene- This stimulates cancer-killing immune cells (lymphocytes, e.g.) that may also break down cancer-causing substances.
alkalinity- Cancer, and disease in general, can not survive in an alkaline environment. The body has a delicate pH and many of us tend to be more acidic than alkaline. Ideally the body is best at a pH of around 7.35-7.4. There are many factors that contribute to acidity- such as red meat and other heavy proteins, dairy, grains and sugar. One of the main contributors to acidity in the body is also stress hormones. Lemons help increase alkalinity and are one of the easiest ways to immediately start alkalizing your body.
3. Garlic and Onions (as well as leeks and chives)
Allium- This is an immune enhancing compound, which increases the activity of immune cells that fight cancer, blocking carcinogens from entering cells and slowing tumor development.
These compounds are able to activate a molecule called nuclear erythroid factor (Nrf2). This signals cells (particularly the nucleus of the cell) that have been compromised to either go into survival response (in order to become healthy again) or to go into programmed cell death- in which the cell is able to recognize that it is too compromised to be healthy any longer. This is very important because compromised cells are susceptible to becoming cancerous. When Nrf2 isn’t turned on, our cells are more susceptible to becoming cancerous.
Flaxseeds and Hempseeds & Flax Oil and Hemp Oil
Both flax and hemp contain omega 3- which is a nourishing fatty acid that you can only get from your diet, since the body does not make it. Omega 3 reduces inflammation in the body- when cells are inflammed, they are more susceptible to becoming cancerous. Stress and many foods in our diets contribute to inflammation, so eating omega 3 is one of the ways to help counterbalance this.
Omega 3’s enhance oxygen flow within the cells, decrease tumor formation, slow tumor growth, and decrease the spread of cancer cells. Flax and Hemp are the best sources.
Plant Based Protein
antioxidants- Plant based foods provide more antioxidants that combat cancer (whereas animal protein contributes to the factors leading to cancer), and are less likely to contribute to hormone growth factors that can cause cancerous cells to grow. Nuts contain the antioxidants quercetin and campferol that may suppress the growth of cancers. Brazil nut contains 80 micrograms of selenium, which is important for al cancers, and especially prostate cancer.
alkalizing- Hemp seeds, bean and legumes are less acidifying than animal sources of protein. This helps keep the body more alkaline and maintains an environment that is less cancer-friendly.
The Top 5 Foods to Eliminate When You Find Out You Have Cancer
White Sugar and White Flour
1. Sugar feeds cancer cells
- - all cells use sugar as their main fuel, cancer cells are greedy and take nutrition and glucose away from other cells and use it for themselves to grow and proliferate
- - white sugar spikes your blood sugar, this increases your insulin → insulin is a hormone that helps shuttle glucose into our cells and it spikes very high when we consume something sugary
- - not only is insulin spiked when you eat sugar, but something called “insulin-growth-factor-1” (IGF-1) also rises → and IGF-1 promotes cancer cell growth
2. Suppressed White Blood Cells
- - our white blood cells are our infection fighting cells, and sugar can suppress their activity for up to 4 hours
3. Sugar is acidic and does not promote alkalinity in the body
- - red meat is very challenging on the digestive system to break down and can contribute to inflammation
Antibiotics & Hormones
- - if it’s not organic it usually contains antibiotics and hormones → these hormones can increase risk of hormonal related cancers such as breast cancer
- - the saturated fat in red meat interferes with proper oxygen use in our cells, which can cause oxidative stress. Without eating fruits and vegetables that are super high in antioxidants, the oxygen metabolism in our body does not work properly leading to “oxidative stress.” Lacking anti-inflammatory nutrients, our body can experience severe and chronic inflammation. Inflammation paired with oxidative stress is one of the main contributing factors in developing cancer.
- - Similar to sugar, diary increases the production of IGF-1, which increases tumor growth and development of cancerous cells
- - hard to digest, congesting for the body. This puts stress on cells and interferes with their ability to remain healthy.
- - contains hormones, which can promote hormone cancers and interfere with hormonal balance in the body
- - rancid oils produce chemically altered fats that become toxic to our cells aka cytoxic. Oils that have been heated above 300 (which are most market oils because they have been heated and deodorized in order to maintain shelf life), lose their healing properties, become toxic, and can cause mutations in our cells.
- - using extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) for frying or sauteing destroys the protective, anti-mutagenic properties of olive oil.
- - most vegetable oils contain genetica modifications (GMOs) and we are not sure what kind of long term effect they have on our system - best to stay away!