Everyone we know has been sick this year. Although autumn is usually when a lot of people are faced with weakened immunity and exposure to lots of germs, this year seems to be worse than before. Below you will find a list of the best nutrients to focus on consuming if you are sick or if you are preventing yourself from getting sick this season.
Plus, this granola bar recipe is divine and really has no words to describe how good it is-- so it most certainly will make you feel better if you are battling the sick blues.
Immune Enhancing Nutrients
- Activates white blood cells that destroy bad bacteria
- Kale, lemon, parsley
- Powerful antioxidant that protects cells from free radical damage
- Egg yolks, quinoa, pecans, sesame seeds, butter
- Antioxidant that protects cells, prevents mutated cells from multiplying
- Enhances antibody production
- Sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, kale, spinach, dulce (seaweed), egg yolks, butter
- Increases white blood cell production and enhances white blood cell function
- Pecans, ginger, dulse (seaweed)
Essential Fatty Acids (Omega 6 & Omega 3)
- Decreases inflammation, enhance function of white blood cells to destroy bad bacteria
- Flax oil, flaxmeal, hemp oil, hemp seeds, fish
And, now, onto some tasty treats...
Blueberry Lemon Granola Bars
1 cup blueberries
1 lemon, zested
2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
3 cups oats
1/2 cup dried, unsweetened shredded coconut
1/3 cup pecans or walnuts
1/8 tsp sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Mix together the liquid ingredients. Mash up the banana with these ingredients.
3. Mix together the dry ingredients.
4. Fold in the wet ingredients, along with the blueberries and lemon zest.
5. Spread out in a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper or oiled with coconut oil.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until desired crispness.
7. Allow to cool fully before cutting into bars.