Over the last little while we here at the Living Kitchen have become obsessed with ZA'ATAR. It is a Middle Eastern spice that will add a whole new dimension of flavour to your dishes. Toss it over fish, on top of pitas, in pasta salads, in dressings and marinades and slather vegetables in it... it is that delicious.
To find za'atar head into the Middle Eastern section of your grocery store or hit up a Middle Eastern supermarket to find this magical seasoning.
Za'atar & Harissa Eggplant Salad
1 eggplant, cut into cubes
1 bunch kale or swiss chard
3 clove garlic
⅓ cup parsley, chopped
⅓ cup cilantro, chopped
¼ cup green onions, chopped
½ cup pinenuts
⅓ cup dried apricots, chopped
¼ cup lemon juice
3 Tbsp olive oil
¼ tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp honey
½ tsp harissa (or more, depending on spicy-ness preference)
2 tsp za'atar
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Cut eggplant into cubes, place on a lined baking sheet, drizzle with grapeseed oil or melted coconut oil and bake for 30 minutes.
3. While eggplant is baking, rustically chop the garlic (meaning, it does not need to precise at all) and sauté it in a pan over medium heat with a little coconut oil. Sautee until it becomes fragrant and translucent.
4. Add in the chopped kale and mix around so that the kale becomes slathered in garlic.
5. Put the ingredients for the dressing together and chop the herbs. If you want to go the extra mile you can toast the pinenuts, however, it is not necessary.
6. Mix everything together in a bowl and voila!