Are You Making these Skincare Mistake?
Truth be told, there are many skincare "mistakes" to be made. However there are a few that we think are worth making an extra effort to avoid.
1. Over-exfoliating- Although exfoliating the skin is a great way to clear away dead skin cells, you can easily overdo it. You only want to exfoliate about once a week. This gives your skin the time to regenerate and grow new skin cells.
2. Lack of Sleep- Similar to any other organ in the body, your skin needs rest and time to heal and rejuvenate. Getting a proper night sleep is one of the most important things you can do to help your skin health (as well as your overall health).
3. Sleeping in Makeup- Take your makeup off before you go to sleep. Wearing makeup blocks your pores and prevents your skin from breathing and properly detoxifying.
Since it is Spring and officially the season of detoxing, we have recently written about how to detox different parts of your body. There are 5 main detoxification organs in your body, which all play an important role in your everyday health and removal of waste from your cells. We have gone over how to detox your liver and the importance of detoxing your kidneys. We still have a few major organs to go over- the skin, the intestines and the lungs.
Detoxing Your Skin
It is easy to forget that our skin is also an organ, in fact our largest organ. It is often only when something is noticeably wrong with our skin that we will pay attention to it. From sunburn to eczema and psoriasis to acne to discoloration, there is a huge variety of issues that can happen with our skin. And it can be quite frustrating when something goes wrong with our skin, because it's visible to the outside world. Most people are walking around daily with internal health challenges and discomfort, but you can't always detect this from first appearances. But, the skin never lies!
One of the magical things about our skin if that it can deliver many messages to us about what is going on internally. If there is inflammation on the skin it is a clear indication that something is off balance inside the body. This could be something as simple as an allergic reaction to something more complicated such as blockages in the liver or digestive system. If the other detoxification organs (liver, kidneys, intestines, lungs) are not functioning optimally, then toxins can get stuck inside of the body and can try to leave through the skin.
What to Do for Skin Detoxing
1. Dry Skin Brush. Here's some instruction on how to skin brush easily!
2. Hot Shower and Cold Shower. Switch between hot water and cold water every 30 seconds for 2 minutes. It is challenging, but it will really invigorate your skin and get your metabolism going too!
3. Sauna/Steam Room. The heat will help bring toxins to the surface and out of your skin pores.
4. Salt Scrub. Take a sea salt bath or use sea salt scrub in your shower. Even better, swim in the salty ocean if you can! Salt is a natural cleanser and detoxifier. *Be careful not to overdo it though! You need to give your skin a chance to regenerate before exfoliating again.
5. Drink herbal teas that support the health of your skin: nettle, burdock, ginger, rosehips
6. Use essential oils that are good for skin: lavender, tea tree (melaluca), frankincense
7. Incorporate healthy, nourishing oils into your diet: flax oil, hemp oil, olive oil, coconut oil, fish oil
What You Eat Matters
This may be old news, but just a reminder that everything that we eat impacts the health of our skin. For some specific foods that you can actually use as bodycare skin products, read here.
If you need help with adding more detoxifying and cleansing food into your life, sign up for the April Detox Diet. This is a 5 day program, starting on April 21st. For more details, menu, and pricing, continue reading here: