There are so many different diets and ways of eating and we always believe that each of us needs different nutrients and types of food at various times. Sometimes it might be right for you to be vegan or vegetarian. At other times it might feel better for you to be an omnivore. One thing that we will never change our mind on- vegetables should always be the main focus of every meal. It's easy to be a healthy omnivore by making sure that you always have plenty of vegetables to eat. This California Quinoa Salad recipe is super easy, tasty and an easy way to get all those nutrients.
California Quinoa Salad
1 cup quinoa
1 or 2 organic chicken breasts (depends on how much you want)
2 - 4 roasted red peppers
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp dried Italian herbs
1 lemon, juiced
1/3 cup olive oil
2 tsp dijon whole grain mustard
2 tsp honey
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Cook the quinoa in a small pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed.
2. While the quinoa is cooking, season the chicken breasts with garlic powder, dried Italian herbs, and sea salt. Place the chicken in a small baking dish and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until cooked.
3. Mix together the dressing ingredients and set to the side.
4. Chop the cucumbers and red peppers in small pieces. Slice the avocado into strips or cubes.
5. Place the quinoa in a large bowl or container once it is cooked.
6. Place the vegetables on top in different sections.
7. Once the chicken is cooked, slice into thin pieces and place on top of the quinoa as well.
8. Serve salad into portions and drizzle dressing on top when ready to eat.