These gluten free buckwheat waffles are easy to make and delicious. Buckwheat is a wonderful gluten free flour to use in pancake and waffle recipes because its actually made from a seed and not a grain. Buckwheat has a unique nutty, rich flavour, that pairs well with sweet fruit and maple syrup.
Buckwheat is a good source of magnesium, a mineral that helps to relax blood vessels and muscles in the body. Magnesium is one of the most important nutrients for brain health and has been studied for its role in preventing depression. Buckwheat also contains tryptophan, an amino acid that’s needed for the production of serotonin, a feel good neurotransmitter. Tryptophan has been studied for the impact it has on improved mood and brain function.
If you don’t have a waffle maker, but still want to make something with buckwheat, you can check out our pancake recipe instead.
Gluten Free Buckwheat Waffles
1 cup buckwheat flour
1 Tbsp coconut sugar
2.5 tsp baking powder
pinch of sea salt
1 and 1/4 cups dairy-free milk of choice
1/4 cup melted coconut oil (or you can use avocado oil)
coconut oil or butter
orange, sliced in thin pieces
- Mix together the buckwheat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and pinch of sea salt in a mixing bowl.
- Pour the milk into a large liquid measuring cup and then crack the egg in and whisk together. We like to mix the liquid ingredients together right in the measuring cup to make clean up easier and use less dishes!
- If the melted coconut oil is hot, let it cool down so that it’s lukewarm (you don’t want it to cook the egg when mixed together). Pour the melted coconut oil into the milk and mix together well.
- Then fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix all together.
- Turn the waffle iron on and let it warm up. The batter can sit for a few minutes to thicken while the waffle iron warms up.
- Once the waffle iron is hot, pour some of the batter in and close the top. Cook until the waffle iron beeps. We normally put the waffle iron on setting 4. Depending on the size of your waffle maker, this recipe makes enough for 2-3 large waffles and 4-5 small waffles.