Roasted radicchio, yellow beets and blood orange come together in this salad recipe. It’s a late winter salad, that’s partially cooked and accented with fresh ingredients. The blood oranges makes this a really special salad, since they’re only available for a short window of time in late winter each year (at least in our part of the world). If you don’t have access to blood oranges, you can swap in another variety, or even regular navel oranges will do just fine.
We used date syrup (here’s one of the brands that makes date syrup) in the dressing instead of maple syrup, to take the flavours in this salad up a level. You’ll find the date syrup is subtly sweet, and not as overpowering as maple syrup or honey. But, as with the oranges, if you can’t find date syrup than you can sub in maple syrup or honey (use less though, since they are sweeter).
We hope you’ll love this Roasted Radicchio and Yellow Beet Salad with Blood Orange! Here’s another winter salad that we made last year, if you’re looking for other delicious ideas while it’s cold out.
Roasted Radicchio and Yellow Beet Salad with Blood Orange
1 head of radicchio, sliced into 6 to 8 wedges
3 yellow beets
1 large blood orange or 2 small blood oranges, peeled and sliced in segments
1/3 cup walnuts, broken and toasted
Date Citrus Dressing:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp date syrup
sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400. Trim the tough ends off of the beets and place them in a small baking dish. Season with sea salt, pepper and drizzle avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil over top. Then cover the baking dish with foil or an oven safe lid (sometimes we’ll place a small baking sheet over top to act as the lid). Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the beets are tender. Once they are cool enough to handle, remove the skin and slice into wedges.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the wedges of radicchio out flat on the baking sheet and rub with some avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil, so that they are lightly coated. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Roast the radicchio for around 7-8 minutes, or until it is crisp on the edges and lightly browned on the bottom.
- Meanwhile, slice the blood orange into segments. Lightly toast the walnuts.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients. Taste and adjust as needed.
- Once everything is roasted, combine the radicchio with beets and blood orange. Top with the toasted walnuts. Drizzle the dressing over top just before serving.