S’mores = the perfect summery dessert. Sweet, gooey and chocolatey, can you honestly ask for anything better than that combination?
As a kid, I loved sitting around a campfire with a stick diligently trying to get my marshmallow a golden brown colour. I HATED the torched ones that we’re black and burnt on the outside. I needed mine to be perfect so it could gently pillow out of from the center as it was squished and sandwiched between crackers and chocolate.
Well, I don’t have a firepit and was craving this gooey dessert as the weather turned warmer, so I dreamt up this recipe with a paleo shortbread crust, dark chocolate layer and golden (not burnt!) marshmallows on top.
We call them healthy-ish, because we may not use refined sugar, conventional flours or rancid oils here….but, they’re still loaded with chocolate chips.
If you can, get your hands on Dandies Marshmallows. Conventional brands of marshmallows are loaded with corn syrup, modified cornstarch, sugar, artificial flavours and artificial colours like Blue 1 (which has been researched to affect the central nervous system, and linked to skin irritations and ADHD).
The truth is, eating a few conventional brand marshmallows will not be the end of you, but if you have the choice to choose an alternative that’s non-GMO, corn syrup-free with no artificial anything, why not do it?!
We’re always on the hunt for functional foods – meaning, foods that add something to your body rather than takeaway, so if you can make that choice for a healthier alternative, do it!
Vegan Healthy-ish S'more Bars
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup mini dark chocolate chips (any size will do)
- 1 1/2 cup mini vanilla flavour marshmallows
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Combine all the shortbread ingredients in a bowl, mix well, it's best to use your hands. The mixture will be crumbly but when you press it together it should be sticky
- Oil a pan, we used a 9 1/2 x 9 1/2 loaf pan and once oiled, cut out parchment paper and layer it inside. Leave flaps on the sides so you can easily lift it out when it's done.
- Transfer the dough into the pan and begin spreading/pushing it out with your fingers until a uniform layer forms, we found it quite meditative
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes
- After the 12 minute mark, pull the pan out and top with chocolate chips, they will begin melting immediately and then top with mini marshmallows
- If you're using big marshmallows, slice them in half.
- Place back in the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes, then broil for 30-60 seconds to get the perfect golden marshmallow topping (watch them so they don't burn!!!!)
- Pull them out of the oven and swirl the marshmallows around with the back of a spoon (you can leave this part out and leave them as is)
- Let the bars cool for about 10 minutes -- I know this seems cruel, but they need to slightly harden so they don't fall a part when you cut them
- Slice them into 10 even bars, or however many your heart desires. They will be slightly crumbly and messy (that's the charm of them!)
- Store them in an airtight container on the counter for 1-3 days
S’more bars are rich and decadent so you may be eating them a few days to come. This is one of those desserts that I hide from my children so that I can eat them all myself!!
So, obviously you’re going to go make them now (how can you not?) make sure to tag us @livingkitchenco so we can see your glorious bars!
And, if you want to watch the video of how it’s made, join our private facebook group Health 365 where we post weekly live videos of our delicious kitchen creations – like this one!