An autumn rainbow salad with smoked salmon, Brussels sprouts, butternut squash and beets: you really can’t go wrong! Once it gets cooler we start making warm salads or slightly wilted, partially cooked salads, instead of fully raw ones. Here we roast brussels sprouts, butternut squash and beets and then combine them with lemon massaged kale to provide the perfect combo of sweet root veggies with fresh kale (plus lots of fiber).
Here’s another autumn themed salad recipe that we made last year: Roasted Cauliflower Brussels Sprouts Salad.
Wild Caught Salmon
It’s really important to us that we choose sustainably caught seafood, both for our own health and the health of our planet.
Once of the sustainable seafood labels that we look for when shopping is MSC certified (the Marine Stewardship Council). They certify seafood that’s been caught sustainably, meaning they prevent overfishing, respect habitats to preserve the health of the ocean, and they ensure the people who depend on fishing maintain their livelihoods.
That’s why we use MSC certified salmon in this Autumn rainbow salad with smoked salmon recipe because it’s high in omega 3’s, the essential fatty acids that are vital for the health of our brains, as well as support our hormonal health and play a role in reducing inflammation. If you don’t like smoked salmon, you could easily make this salad with fresh seared wild caught salmon instead. AND, if you’re vegetarian, omit the salmon and add in some chickpeas to this delicious salad. Chickpeas always pair well with brussels sprouts, butternut squash and beets.
Rainbow Autumn Salad with Smoked Salmon
- 1/2 lb beets peeled and cubed
- 1 butternut squash peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1/2 lb brussels sprouts halved
- 1 small bunch kale chopped
- 150 grams smoked wild caught salmon
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pumpkin seeds toasted
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds
Marinade for Brussels Sprouts
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1.5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch sea salt and pepper
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- pinch sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Rub the beets and squash with extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper and spread out on baking sheet. Toss the brussels sprouts together with the marinade and spread them out on another area of the same baking sheet (if they fit) or on another baking sheet. Roast brussels sprouts for 25 minutes. Roast the beets and squash for 25-30 minutes.
- While the vegetables are roasting, whisk the dressing ingredients together. Massage kale with the dressing in a large serving bowl, using your hands to soften the kale and really get the flavor of the dressing mixed in. You can taste it and add more sea salt if you'd like.
- Slice the smoked salmon into approximately ½ inch wide strips. Roll each piece of salmon up like a fruit roll up to make salmon “roses.”
- Place the roasted vegetables over top of the kale, along with the salmon “roses” and sprinkle the walnuts and dried cranberries over top before serving.